Full Service Insurance Agency
Helping protect your… Home – Business – Auto – Property -Life
The origin of our agency is traced all the way back to March 1st, 1889 when Walter T Davenport, one of the first Commissioners of the then, Town of Americus, signed contracts for his new insurance agency with Southern Mutual Insurance Company from Athens Georgia to write fire insurance for the residents of Sumter County. A few years after that, Mr. Davenport’s son joined the firm and the name of the agency was changed to W T Davenport & Sons.
Fast forward to 1961, when Ray Baldwin bought the agency from then owner J.L. Walters and changed the name from the Walters Agency to The Baldwin Agency. A year later, Ray’s brother Ted bought half interest in the Agency after returning to Americus from service in the Marine Corp as a naval aviator. The two brothers operated and grew the agency over the next 37 years buying several agencies in and around Sumter County.
In the late 80’s, Ted’s oldest child David and Ray’s oldest child Raymond joined the firm and began their respective careers in the insurance agency. David and Raymond left the firm in June of 1992 and bought another agency in Americus changing it’s name to D&R Insurance Agency, Inc. Over the next 5 years, David and Raymond operated their agency separated from their fathers. Then in January 1998 the master plan was revealed to the public when David and Raymond bought out their father’s agency and merged everything back together as The Baldwin Agency, Inc.